Monday, February 7, 2011

I Liked But Others Did Not Like the Black Eyed Peas Super Bowl Halftime & Missed Christina Aquilera Messing Up the Lyrics to the National Anthem

I thought the Black Eyed Peas Super Bowl Halftime Show was the best halftime show I've watched in a long time. I actually can not remember the last time I did not think a Super Bowl Halftime Show was sort of lame.

So, I am not understanding the criticism I'm reading about the Black Eyed Peas.

Those who complain about the Black Eyed Peas are usually saying that the rest of the production was a slick, glitzy show.

Yes, there was an audio malfunction with Fergie right at the start. And a couple times after that the audio seemed muddled. The new Dallas Cowboys Stadium has been having audio issues ever since it opened.

I find it amazing that 10 minutes after the first half ends such a complicated show is up and running. How did the Black Eyed Peas get above the field to descend from the world's biggest TV screen?

And then there is the Christina Aguilera National Anthem brouhaha. Well, sort of like Janet Jackson's momentarily bared nipple which created a national crisis earlier in this century, I did not actually realize Christina had mucked up the lyrics.

At one point I did wonder to myself is she singing one of those seldom sung extra verses to the Star Spangled Banner.

But, apparently, all the little slip-up was was instead of singing "o'er the ramparts we watched," Christina improvised, "what so proudly we watched."

I know I could not sing the American National Anthem, both tune-wise and lyric-wise, unless I was provided auto-tune and cue cards.

Christina said, "I have been performing the anthem since I was seven years old."

She probably got nervous in front of what did not turn out to be a record breaking Super Bowl crowd. And looking out to see the disconcerting sight of a lot of people with cheese on their heads.

No comments: