Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Project Runway On Lifetime: Ari Fish Gets Cut

I've watched an episode or two of Project Runway over the years, but I never get hooked, like I do with Top Chef. I think it has something to do with the fact that I like to eat and cook, while I really don't have a whole lot of interest in making a dress. I also have found that those who do have an interest in making a dress are a bit on the odd side.

Like this one guy or girl (I was a little confused about the guy/girl thing with this one) named Malvin Vien. This person is a dress designer, supposedly in tune with what is fashionable, yet this person's sense of style, as reflected in hairstyle choice, did not look all that fashionable to me. It did say goofy and fruitcakey to me.

The first one cut was this very odd space cadet named Ari Fish. She did not seem to know what she was doing. She was supposed to make something that could be worn at a red carpet event. She said her ridiculous looking mess was from the future, where it was to be worn to a Nobel Prize winning red carpet event combined with some other red carpet event that I can't remember. While the others sketched their designs, Ari said she does not sketch, she lets the inspiration come to her by meditating, upside down against a wall.

I thought it would be the dressmaker named Mitchell Hall who got cut. He made his first dress too small for his model. He had very little material left to work with, just sheer see-through material. So, he pretty much sent a naked model out to walk the runway. Much fuss was made over the nakedness, but all I saw was some nipplage.

Gordana Gehlhausen stood out. She's a 45 year old emigre from the former Yugoslavia, so she has that cool accent thing going on. I don't remember if her dress was liked or not.

We spent a lot of time watching the angst of a 30 year old former meth head, named Johnny Sakalis, who broke down early in the dress making process, overwhelmed by it all. Johnny left the dressmaking zone to seek solace in a private place. Soon Tim Gunn arrived to buck him up and get Johnny back in there dressmaking. In the end, Johnny's dress was one of the favorites.

I must say, I find Tim Gunn very amusing.

Since this is a Reality TV Show it's the law in California that you must have at least on Texan on board. Project Runway's token Texan is a 32 year old neighbor of mine named Louise Black, from Dallas. She has black hair.

The winner this week was a guy from Shakopee, Minnesota, 30 year old Christopher Straub. He seemed very emotional. He's had no formal dressmaking training and did not know the meaning of various terms being used by the trained dressmakers. But, Shakopee is some sort of fashion hub, with everyone, including guest judge, Lindsay Lohan, liking his dress. The dress looked weird to me. Obviously I am not fashion savvy and there are many reasons I have trouble getting hooked on this show.

I may watch again. I set the DVR to record the series.

No comments: