Sunday, August 30, 2009

Flipping Out Season 3: Jeff Lewis Flips Out Less

I, along with Real New York Housewife, Bethenny Frankel, watched a lot of Flipping Out yesterday.

When I blogged about Flipping Out a few days ago I opined that it should be interesting seeing how Jeff Lewis deals with our troubled economic times. Well, I was right, it is interesting.

House flipping has dried up. The Valley Oaks home we saw getting renovated last season, has not sold. So, Jeff moved in. He now contracts out to do, or oversee, remodels and renovations. But no house flipping.

When I watched the first season of Flipping Out I was appalled over and over again seeing what looked to me to be perfectly nice homes, that maybe needed a little work, gutted and redone to a big price tag and then selling for a big price tag with Lewis making a big profit.

There is still gutting of what looks to me to be a perfectly nice house, only it seems to being done with much closer attention paid to costs. The nice house about to be gutted is owned by a couple who met where the wife used to peel. I learned, along with Jeff Lewis, that a peeler is a stripper. The stripper and her husband insisted that Jeff and Jenni come over for Taco Tuesday. In their pajamas. Jeff said something like in these hard times he'll do just about anything to seal a deal.

In the first season of Flipping Out Jeff flipped out a lot. At times it was painful to watch. Now, in Season 3, he seems to be well in tune with why people find him amusing, and so it seems he has amped it up. In a good way. He can turn getting upset about not enough brown salsa into a comedy routine. His attempts to find out Jenni's new address are amusing.

There is a lot that is amusing on Flipping Out. It may be my favorite Bravo show. Or maybe Top Chef is.

No comments: