Wednesday, May 5, 2010

American Idol: Worst Season Ever With Bad Sinatra Night

American Idol has really crossed over into watching a train wreck territory for me.

Last night we were down to only 5, Diminutive Aaron Kelly. Shirtless Texan Casey James, Dreadlocked Mama Crystal Bowersox, Manatee-like Michael Lynche and Goat-Teed Lee Dewyze.

Harry Connick, Jr. was the mentor last night, trying to mentor the singers through Frank Sinatra songs. Harry gave it a really good shot, he's very funny, but, it did not go well.

Previously we'd seen the American Idolers manage to suck the life out of Lennon/McCartney songs. Then follow that a week or two later by managing to take the life out of Elvis Presley songs, including a Hound Dog rendition that sounded like a funeral dirge.

Last night's attempt to sing Sinatra classics was really bad. I did not get the judge pimpage of Michael Lynche. I find him barely bearable to watch, let alone listen to.

And then the formerly pimped, Crystal, just seemed tired. Was that a huge tattoo on her back? Or part of the dress? If that was a tattoo, well, she loses major points for that.

Casey James looked really awkward.

Aaron Kelly I did not mind too much, maybe because he came up first and I'd not grown bored yet. He was told he needed to exude more charisma. Yes, that seems like useful advice. Exactly how does one manage that?

The only Sinatra song, of the 5, that was sung well enough that I recognized it was Lee DeWyze singing that I've been a Pauper, a Prince, a Pawn and a King song, the name of which I don't remember. DeWyze got the major praise of the night.

I wish those judges would get new writers and retire phrases like "zero to hero" and "in it to win it." Those type phrases sound very pitchy and karaoke to my ears.

Then again, I am tone deaf.

I'm guessing Casey James goes tonight.

No comments: