Wednesday, May 19, 2010

American Idol Final Three: BLAH!!!!

Well. Only one more week of the worst season of American Idol to go and this train wreck will be off the rails.

Tuesday night's sing-off between Casey James, Crystal Bowersox and Lee DeWyze, for me, only really came alive at the end, with DeWyze's version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah."

Does that song ever sound bad? And when you get it pimped with a backup chorus, it's even better.

Casey James started off the night in the dreaded first position, singing a song few had heard of, "OK, It's All Right With Me." Pretty much Casey was left on the stage with his guitar and nothing tarting up the production. No back up singers, no flashing lights, no smoke, no mirrors, no nothing, but James singing a boring song.

Casey's second song, John Mayer's "Daughters" is a song I don't care for. Again the production was barebones, compared to the big production numbers surrounding Crystal Bowersox and Lee DeWyze. The judges did not throw Casey so heavily under the bus for his second song. Then again, I found Simon Cowell's bizarre laughing when the judges got into judging mode, of Caseys final song, to be all sorts of wrong, with no good explanation forthcoming for the laughing.

DeWyze's first song was "Simple Man." Praise was heaped. I didn't feel it. Though one of those annoying judges said he'd crushed the competition. I don't know if this was a subtle reference to DeWyze appearing to be slightly overweight or totally a comment about his singing quality.

Bowersox sang the Melissa Etheridge classic, "Come To My Window," as her first choice. I hated the harmonica and I hate her under the lip stud piercing. The judges' chose the McCartney classic, "Maybe I'm Amazed" as Crystal's second song. I liked that okay, but I didn't like her doing the cliched wandering around the stage.

Who decides how these songs are produced? Did Casey James choose not to have a production number? It somehow seems unfair to me.

And another thing, what a difference between this season and the same point last season. You never knew what Adam Lambert was going to do. Last year's final 3, Lambert, Kris Allen and Allison Iraheta, were always entertaining. None of this final 3 comes close to being that entertaining.

Anyway, I don't know if I'll bother suffering through the bloated finale. I really don't care who "wins." That and I'll be exhausted from too much television due to watching the bloated finales of LOST and 24.

No comments: