Thursday, April 30, 2009

American Idol: Rat Pack Matt Sent Packing

Last night I watched the Obama news conference and then turned off the TV. I let the DVR take care of watching American Idol and LOST for me.

I was not surprised when I read in the paper this morning that Matt Giraud got sent home. Which somehow sort of makes that "save" gimmick seem more silly than it already seemed. He was "saved" to go home 2 weeks later.

I got around to fast forwarding through last night's results show during lunch. I've been assuming because Adam Lambert is the most entertaining contestant I think they've ever found on this show, that he's a shoo-in for the win.

But, last night Danny Gokey and Allison Iraheta were put on one side of the stage, while Kris Allen and Matt Giraud were sent to the other side. Adam Lambert was then told to pick which side he thought be belonged on. After some diplomatic hemming and hawing Lambert went to stand by Gokey and Allison. Seacrest then moved Lambert to the other group saying this was the bottom three.

Adam being in the bottom 3 seemed to shock a lot of people, including the judges. And then it got worse. Seacrest sent Kris Allen to the safety bench, making Lambert and Giraud the bottom 2.

Checking the TV forums I can see that viewers are all a twitter over Adam being in the bottom 2. The consensus seems to be that Adam fans figured he was safe so they voted for ones they liked, but thought might get the boot. Like Allison. Others think there is a dislike of Adam by religious nuts, who like Gokey, who they say is a religious nut. I don't know where they are getting the religious nut stuff.

Next week my guess is that Adam Lambert will not be in the bottom 2 when the theme is Rock 'n Roll.

No comments: