Wednesday, April 22, 2009

American Idol: Final 7 Disco Night

Adam Lambert again seemed to be, to these tone deaf ears, the best of the night, again, on Tuesday's American Idol Performance Show, when you factor in the entertainment factor to the singin.

It was Disco Theme Night. I was sure Adam Lambert would sing the Bee Gees Staying Alive from Saturday Night Fever, because you can tell from the way he walks he's a ladie's man.

Instead Adam sang another song from Saturday Night Fever, If I Can't Have You, which I also think may be a Bee Gees song.

Judge Kara was the first to judge Adam. She heaped praise on him saying he was a combo of the dude from Saturday Night Live and Clark Kent. I think by dude, she meant John Travolta and by Saturday Night Live she meant Saturday Night Fever. Judge Kara has become legendary for her misspeakings. Like one night she told one of the singers they'd turned the joint into Studio 57, confusing a studio with a catsup product.

Matt Giraud did sing the song about walking like a ladie's man. I was not very entertained by it. I really don't know why he was saved last week with that silly judges' save gimmick.

This week, to my tone dear ears, Lil Rounds really was the worst. When I feel my self reaching for the DVR controller, and the fast forward option, I know I'm not being entertained.

Reaching for the fast forward button also occurred while Danny Gokie sang whatever song he sang that I've already forgotten.

Chris Allen singing Donna Summer's She Works Hard For The Money was pretty good. And sort of funny. I did not get Paula Abdul's remarks about the guy shopping in women's stores or Simon Cowell's suggesting the boy wears women's underwear.

Paula seemed back in her what comes across as a bit medicated persona last night. She's seemed quite sober for weeks now. She seemed to melt down while Adam Lambert sang and then said something about having an honest visceral reaction to him. I wonder if she knows what visceral means?

Ryan Seacrest amusingly said that Lambert had turned Paula into a "pool of Abdul."

The redhead Allison was okay, sort of rock n' roll disco. No memory of what she sang. She was not dressed too goofy. The judges seemed to like her.

Anoop Desai was the last to sing. The main comment that stuck in my memory is Paula commenting on how good his unshaven appearance looked and how nice his teeth are. And advised him that he should show off his teeth more.

It really isn't a singing competition, no matter how many times they repeat that it is. It's an entertainment competition. Which is why Adam Lambert seems a shoo-in for the win.

No comments: