Thursday, April 16, 2009

NBC: I'm Not A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here With Rod Blagojevich

NBC has really fallen on hard times. The network used to own Thursday nights, calling it "Must See TV." That was way back in the last century. Now NBC does not have a single top 20 show.

In what seems a bit desperate, NBC is bringing back a reality show that I think was originally on ABC for only one season, that show being I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here.

I actually watched a lot of it. It was really bad, which made it fun to watch. It was set in an Australian rain forest and seemed to be trying to copy Survivor. But it didn't really work.

The conditions were miserable, and not in an entertaining way. I remember latrine issues being particularly unpleasant.

As was the cast. It was on this show I learned Bruce Jenner was extremely dull. And that Jennifer Lopez had a nice ex-husband in the form of Chris Judd, who I had never heard of before. And that supermodel Tyson Beckford was a scaredy-cat wimp. I remember seeing Melissa Rivers in her bra was not great tv viewing. And one of Rod Stewart's ex-wives, I think the name was Alana, was a raging she devil from hell. Which made her sort of fun to watch. An ex MTV v-jay, I think the name was Julie Brown, also had some unpleasant personality issues.

I do not remember how it was that the celebrities got out of there. I do remember that the last one out was Chris Judd. Which I guess made him the winner. I don't know what he won though, except for a good reputation as being the nice guy ex-husband of Jennifer Lopez.

Did the viewers vote? Or did the celebrities vote on who they wanted to get rid of? Or was the point to make it so miserable that the celebrity begged to get them out of there? That almost seems like that was how it worked.

If I remember right the ABC version of the Get Me Out of Here show was on several nights a week. I don't believe it got good ratings.

So far the only, uh, so-called celebrity being mentioned as being on the NBC version is the disgraced, potentially imprisoned, former governor of Illinois, Rod Blagojevich. I guess it would be entertaining watching him get all wet, hungry and miserable.

No comments: