Wednesday, April 1, 2009

American Idol: Final 9 Perfomance Show

Once again, the already anointed "STAR," Adam Lambert, was by far the best of the night, on American Idol last night, when the remaining 9 got to pick popular I-Tunes for their song, and we were spared another mentor.

By this morning the only singer who's song I could easily remember, was Adam's, in that he sang that Funky White Boy song from the last century.

Chris Allen followed Lambert in what is called the "pimp spot," that being the final singer of the night. Chris was good, but by this morning I had to strain my memory a bit to remember he also sang a song from the last century, that being Ain't No Sunshine When You're Gone.

The other memorable one of the night was 16 year old, bright redhead, Allison Irehata. Not so much for what she sang, because I don't remember what song it was, though I do remember she sang it well and I didn't get bored, as I did with so many of the others, like the hopefully going to be gone, tattooed and pretty, but painful to watch, Megan Joy, who is definitely no joy to watch.

Allison was memorable last night due to her interesting choice of costume. Each of the judges made that the main focus. Which strikes me as odd, because any number of times we have heard variations from those judges along the line of "this is a singing competition, not a dancing competition." But last night, apparently, what one wore mattered as much as what one sang and how they sang it.

Allison handled the clothes dissing with aplomb. I can't believe she is only 16.

The likable Anoop Desai sang an Usher song. I know who Usher is, but I could not name an Usher song with a gun pointed to my head.

I did not understand the unanimous dislike for what Matt Geraud sang. I've heard that song on the radio, and like it, though I could not name it for you right now, and I liked how Geraud sang it. Sometimes those judge's comments are so convoluted.

Which brings me to new judge, Kara DioGuardi. I've tried to like her and see her as an addition to the show. But last night, that guy yelling out, loudly, something like, "Broken Record," was right on target. And then, when trying to praise Adam Lambert she said something like he'd turned the place in to Studio 57. She must have been confusing Studio 54 with the tomato catsup.

Below is an amusing YouTube video of Kara's appearance on the Ellen DeGeneres Show, in which Kara sorta disses Simon and Paula, saying they focus on clothes, while she is more technical. And Ellen brings up the judges jumping all over Lambert's take on Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire, which Ellen, apparently, was a fan of.

Kara dancing on to the stage to sit with Ellen is at the start of this awkward video. During which, Kara explains why she is so awkward in front of the camera in front of millions.

No comments: