Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Oprah's Gotten Fat Again

In the January issue of O Magazine, Oprah confesses to having fallen off the healthy eating wagon, again, and back on to the gravy train.

Oprah says she is mad at herself and embarrassed. Oprah can't believe that, "after all these years, all the things I know how to do, I'm still talking about my weight. I look at my thinner self and think, 'How did I let this happen again?' "

Ms. Winfrey is now 54 with an out of balance thyroid which somehow caused her to develop a fear of working out. She has gained 40 pounds since 2006. Which puts her over 200 pounds.

Oprah got so frustrated with her weight gain that she says she started eating whatever she wanted. I never understand that type logic. You're frustrated over something you've done so you do more of what caused the frustration? You get fat and so you eat more?

Oprah's yo-yo weight has provided TV and Tabloid entertainment for years. Way back in 1988, in a famous episode of her talk show, Oprah came on stage wearing size 10 Calvin Klein jeans, pulling a wagon loaded with 67 pounds of fat to represent all the weight she'd loss. By late 1990 Oprah admitted to having gained back most of that wagon load of fat. At that point she said she'd never diet again.

But, by 1994, thin Oprah was back, running in the Marine Corps Marathon. By 1996 she'd hired a personal trainer, publicly saying her roller-coaster yo-yo weight saga was over.

Til now.

The fact that Oprah manages to take the weight off over and over again is admirable. I know an obese person or two who only head in one direction, that being ever fatter. One has gotten to the point of being morbidly obese with one of the most oddly distorted bodies I've ever seen. She watches Oprah daily.

No comments: