Thursday, April 8, 2010

American Idol: The Judges Save Michael "Big Mike" Lynche

That is Michael Lynche you're looking at. He is also known as Big Mike. Because he is big.

Ever since we first met Big Mike, on this year's American Idol, he has been heavily pimped. "Heavily Pimped" is Reality TV Speak meaning an inordinate amount of screen time is artfully edited to create a positive image of the one ordained to receive the pimpage.

Big Mike had an easily pimped story, that being that his wife was in labor producing Big Mike's first offspring, while he was auditioning to get on American Idol.

A few weeks ago we saw Big Mike's singing drive Kara DioGuardi to sobbing tears. I had to re-play the singing to see if I could figure out what was so tear-worthy. I failed in that mission. But anyone who could make that annoying woman cry got points with me.

On last night's results show Big Mike got the lowest amount of votes after his rather odd, in my opinion, rendition of the Lennon/McCartney classic, Eleanor Rigby.

Big Mike got the lowest amount of votes, but after Big Mike sang that This Woman's Work song again, it being the song that caused crying, after extensive consultation, Simon, Kara, Ellen and Randy decided to use the Judges' Save to save Big Mike.

I find the Judges' Save to be totally absurd. I have never voted for anyone on American Idol. I hear over and over again something like 'standard messaging rates apply" or something like that in reference to one of the voting methods.

So, you have, I don't now how many thousands or millions of people wasting their time and dimes, doing the silly voting thing, and then have that time and expense negated by the Judges. That just seems really wrong to me.

Would it have been a horrible crime against humanity if Big Mike's run on American Idol came to an end last night? I don't think so.

And now, next week, two get the boot. The Judges only get one Judges' Save.

No comments: