Wednesday, April 14, 2010

American Idol: 9 Finalists Manage to Make Elvis Boring With Adam Lambert's Help

Some are saying it was yet one more American Idol Jump the Shark moment for last year's runner up to be mentoring this year's American Idol Final 9, from a stage in Las Vegas.

I don't agree. I thought Adam Lambert gave good advice. However, it seemed he was ignored, for the most part.

In the view in this screencap, Adam Lambert is managing to look like Elvis.

However, the closeup, from the front view, was sort of an un-Elvis look, with way too much makeup, painted fingernails and earrings. I really think Adam Lambert would do himself a favor if he adopted a more natural look.

When Ryan Seacrest said it would be Elvis songs this week, I thought, well, this should be a bit more entertaining than what we've seen so far. I was wrong.

Crystal Bowersox was first up, singing Saved. Another Elvis song I had never heard. I did not care for it, but, of course, the judges gushed.

How can the energy be sucked out of the Elvis classic, You Ain't Nothing But A Hound Dog? Last night we learned that was totally possible via Andrew Garcia.

Others fared almost as poorly.

Siobhan Magnus really has worn out her welcome with me. She pretty much wreaked havoc with Suspicious Minds.

The guy who got the Judges' Save last week, Michael Lynche, sang In The Ghetto. Dull.

Casey James had the sweet spot, also known as the pimp spot, that being the last to sing. Casey sang Lawdy Miss Clawdy. He didn't suck the life out of it, like was done to Hound Dog, but there sure was not a lot of Elvis-like life apparent.

As far as I know I'd never heard the Elvis song Katie Stevens unmemorably sang, Baby What Do You Want Me to Do. She moved awkwardly around the stage.

Aaron Kelly sang Blue Suede Shoes. And was quite animated while doing so, dancing around the stage, being an Elvis-like performer. Compared to most of the others, it was entertaining. Of course the judges hated it, with Cowell using the tired Karaoke critique.

That leaves Tim Urban and Lee DeWyze.

Turban sang I Can't Help Falling in Love, while sitting and strumming the guitar. I thought he did fine, as did the judges, with Simon Cowell saying Tim had gone from "Zero to Hero." With all the money Cowell makes, he really needs to hire someone to write him some fresh cliches.

And then the best of the night, to my tone-deaf ears, Lee DeWyze, singing A Little Less Conversation. Lee came the closest to Elvis rocking it, or so it seemed to me.

So, two will be sent home tonight. I'm guessing it will be Andrew Garcia and either Katie Stevens, Michael Lynche or Siobhan Magnus.

No comments: