Friday, February 26, 2010

Tyler Grady & 3 Others I Don't Remember Sent Home on American Idol

Of the 4 who got sent home, last night, on American Idol's result show, which I did not watch, the only one who's name I recognized and remembered is Tyler Grady.

He was the Jim Morrison wannabe with unfortunate hair and odd body movements. He seemed like a nice guy with a sense of humor.

The other guy to get the boot was Joe Munoz.

The 2 girls going home were Ashley Rodriguez and Janell Wheeler.

I have no mental image of Joe, Ashley or Janell.

American Idol is not working for me this year. The entertainment factor seems to have taken a plummet. I am fairly certain the plummet is not entirely due to the absence of Paula Abdul.

But, Paula Abdul did provide a good measure of amusing banter and sparring with Simon Cowell.

Kara DioGuardi wears on my nerves. I really don't know why. Something about her seems unnatural and forced. A criticism she levels at the singers at times. I don't think it's her faux pas which tire me, things like saying 1901 when she means 2001. If it continues into next week, the swooning over Casey James is going to really cross way over into this is stupid land.

This year Randy Jackson seems different. Like he is talking in complete articulate sentences with a bare minimum of cheesy slang. Maybe he wised up to the fact that it is not a good look for a man closer to retirement age than teen age to be using teenage type hipster slang lingo.

And then there is Ellen DeGeneres. I've always liked her in any venue I've seen her. Til now. Again, I don't quite know why. She really is not being all that funny. At least to me. I heard Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi on the radio, Live with Ryan Seacrest, cracking up over Ellen's ripen like a banana remark she made on Wednesday to one of the boy singers. I don't think Randy and Kara have what might be called a highly evolved sense of humor.

As for Ryan Seacrest. Did he take How To Act Overly Earnest lessons since last season? He does not seem to be cracking wise as often as I used to enjoy.

And then there are the singers this year. This year the only one, so far, who has somewhat stood out to me, is the aforementioned, Casey James. I did find the taking off his shirt thing a bit embarrassing, but not for him, embarrassing for Kara D to have asked him to do so, and thus begin her chronic swooning.

I am not all that great a judge of who is swoonworthy. Casey James seems like a real nice guy, and even to my tone-deaf ears he seems to sing well, but I don't get the swooning or the Jessica Simpson hairstyle.

On more than one occasion, this year, we've heard at least one of the judges remark that this is the best group they've ever found. I take this as double-speak to actually mean this is the worst group they have ever found.

Because, that's how it seems to me. I may keep watching.

No comments: