Tuesday, March 9, 2010

For Me American Idol Has Jumped The Shark

That is Crystal Bowersox. She got sick last week and so the boys sang on the girl's regular song night, while the girl's sang on the boy's regular song night, with Crystal leading off the night's singing, recovered from her mysterious ailment.

Last week I blogged about the boy's show. I was so bored by it and so annoyed at how inane the American Idol judges have become, when the girl's seemed even worse to me, I didn't have the stomach or desire to blog about it.

I sort of decided I was done with American Idol. For me it has jumped the shark. I think the jump started with the addition of Kara DioGuardi, accelerated with the dropping of Paula Abdul and went into full jump mode with the addition of Ellen DeGeneres.

I thought Ellen DeGeneres was going to be fun. But we are only a few weeks in and she has grown tiresome. And sort of repetitive.

After what has it been, 8 years, or is it 9, of American Idol, Simon Cowell needs some new cliches. "That was very karaoke." "I've heard a performance like that a million times on a cruise ship." "That was something I could have heard at a theme park." "That was like some dreadful wedding singer." He's become a very tiresome old man.

And then, the comments seem even more mean-spirited than previous years, if that's possible. Cowell comments about Casey James' voice, saying something like his gritty tone seems forced, more like sand. To which Kara adds it sounds like dirt. How are these remarks helpful?

And then, one of the 4 who got sent home, this week, was 16 year old Haley Vaughn. The judges told her she just was not ready for this, she needs more training. Huh? Out of the thousands who tried out these idiots put her in the Top 24. And then decided she was not ready.

I also was not getting the pimping of the Bowersox girl. She seems nice enough, but nothing that I look forward to hearing again. I don't remember another season of American Idol where I can find so little entertainment. Of the girls I like the blonde who played the piano, but I don't remember her name, which is telling. I also like Casey James. At least he has a personality and seems like a normal guy.

I've got 24 DVRed, ready to watch tonight, did not have time to watch 24 last night. I may, maybe, give American Idol one more chance, maybe.

No comments: