Friday, September 14, 2012

I Am Sort Of Liking The New Britney Spears Version of The X Factor

I must have set my DVR to record The X Factor season one, though I don't remember this, because my DVR recorded this week's premiere episodes of season two of The X Factor.

Maybe The X Factor has special powers and forces itself on to DVRs.

I had all sorts of problems with liking last year's The X Factor. It was like a real noisy, flashy version of American Idol, was one thing I did not like. I also did not like the host, Steve Jones. Paula Abdul's predictable routines with Simon Cowell got old years ago. I had other issues, that have faded from memory with the passage of time.

So, with not much else to watch, I watched the Wednesday and Thursday episodes of The X Factor.

So far I am finding season two much more entertaining than season one. Steve Jones is gone. So far no one seems to be replacing him. Paula Abdul is gone, along with that Nichole person whose last name I don't know how to spell.

I never would have thought that I would like Britney Spears as a judge. My longest exposure to Britney Spears was on her awful Reality TV Show with her equally awful, now ex-husband, Kevin Federline.

I'd heard the name of the other new judge, Demi Lovato, but know nothing about her, except that she sings songs. She plays the really sweet nice girl judge, in contrast to Britney Spear's brutally truthful, some think mean, judge.

The behind the scenes parts of The X Factor seem to be filmed in some sort of super saturated hyper realistic mode.

There are a lot of what appear to be obviously staged bits. Like, we were supposed to believe that a son is driving his mom to the audition, talking about it, with one camera filming mom from the passenger's side of the car, with another camera filming the driving son from the other side. And then we see the son sing and, of course, he does well.

Anyway, I don't know why, but I'm finding the new version of The X Factor much more entertaining than last years.

But, unfortunately, apparently a lot of viewers prefer and NBC singing competition show I've not watched, The Voice, which airs when The X Factor airs. The X Factor's premiere had only 8.5 million viewers, down 3.5 million from last year's premiere. The Voice had 3 million more viewers than The X Factor.

Methinks there are way too many singing competition shows on TV. The suffering original, American Idol seems to be having trouble finding replacement judges. I'd volunteer, but I'm tone deaf.

No comments: