Saturday, March 16, 2013

The World Is Not Dying To Know Who Killed J.R. Ewing

I put off watching J.R. Ewing's Monday night Dallas funeral til Friday night.

I have opined previously that the re-boot of Dallas has been so much better than I thought it might be. I am still of that opinion.

But, something about Larry Hagman dying 7 episodes into filming the second season of the Dallas re-boot caused me to put off viewing each week's new episode til later. Why I was doing this,  I am not sure, but I think a lot of viewers were of a similar mind, because the ratings have been down.

I was really impressed with how well the J.R. funeral episode, titled "J.R.'s Masterpiece," was done. Classic Dallas, and then some.

And the acting by Sue Ellen and Bobby, I mean, Linda Gray and Patrick Duffy really should get them Emmy nominations.

I can not remember another instance where the actor playing a character as well known and popular as J.R. Ewing died, causing the plotting for the show to change.

Whoever it is who is creating the plot for Dallas did a seamless job with the "J.R.'s Masterpiece" episode ending with multiple mysteries, all engineered by J.R.

When the "Who Shot J.R.?" phenomenon hit American and the rest of the world in 1980 I was not then a Dallas watcher. Over the summer of 1980 I watched the re-runs, so by the time J.R. got shot in the re-run, I was on board with the rest of the world wondering who shot J.R.

I believe the "Who Shot J.R.?" phenomenon remains at the top of TVs most memorable moments.

The "J.R.'s Masterpiece" episode ended with the question "Who Killed J.R.?" This time the question has not caused a reaction of the sort that happened back in 1980.

The town in Texas that claims Larry Hagman as their hometown boy is going to erect a statue to his memory. That town is Weatherford. Weatherford already has a statue of Larry Hagman's mother, Mary Martin.

Even though it goes without saying it, I'll say it anyway. Dallas will not be the same without J.R. Ewing.

No comments: