Wednesday, January 14, 2009

American Idol's Season 8 Premieres With Girls In Bikinis

It's a year ago on this very blog that I whined about not knowing if I wanted to start watching a new season of American Idol, due to the amount of time it sucks. And never really caring, in the end, who wins the thing.

In the end, I ended up watching it all the way through to the Two Davids Ending.

I've read where this latest season of American Idol had made some changes. I watched 3/4s of last night's first episode. The only change I detected was the addition of a 4th judge. A good looking woman named Kara DioGuardi. I'd never heard of her before.

Yesterday, I thought I read in the Dallas Morning News that the new American Idol Judge was married to the first season of American Idol's runner-up, Justin Guarini, making her Kara DioGuardi Guarini. But, in my haste I'd misread. The writer was just being cute, suggesting this would make a good pairing, due to the name similarity.

Last night's American Idol did not seem all that different from previous American Idols. Except for that new judge. I liked her. She is more critical than bubbly Paula Abdul. And more articulate.

There did not seem to be so many weirdly deluded people auditioning last night in whatever city they were in. Was it Oklahoma City? This is a sad indicator of how closely I pay attention. Or maybe a sad indicator of the sad state of my memory.

The most amusing moment of the night was when this girl in a very skimpy bikini appeared. She did not take the new judge's criticism well, telling the judge she doesn't sing all that well either. Now I am totally tone deaf, it didn't seem to me Bikini Girl sang all that well, nor did the new judge seem to think so.

Simon Cowell and Randy were acting all googly eyed at the stripper-like spectacle, so it didn't surprise me, too much, that they chose to send Bikini Girl to Hollywood, but, when Kara and Paula also said "Yes," that surprised me. With Kara telling Bikini Girl, "Come naked next time."

I tried to Google to find out what city it was they were in last night. No luck, not even on the Fox American Idol website. I did find out tonight they are in Kansas City. The one in Missouri? Or the one in Kansas? I don't know. I also don't know if I'll be watching.

No comments: